Thursday, July 26, 2007

Gluing the top planks on

I measured out the fin blocking and glued everything in place. I found it much easier to visualize the placement having the fins in my hand. I just measured the distance from the tail and the distance from centerline and then placed the fin in that spot. I traced around the tabs that will fit into the board and then used a compass to draw 1-inch circles where the blocks need to be. I drilled a small hole in the center of where each plug will go and used this as my reference. Then on the inside I drew a cross at each hole and centered the blocks onto the cross. It should guarantee that when I drill the plugs they hit directly in the middle of the backing blocks.

Next came gluing the the top planks. I first trimmed a little more of the top planks down to make it match the outline of the board better. I then proceeded to glue and clamp the top planks on according to directions.

On a side note, the 5200 I was using on the frame exploded during this processes. Apparently it had hardened somewhat inside the tube. I kept squeezing the caulking gun but was only getting a dribble of adhesive. So I squeezed harder, so hard that 5200 blew out the back of the caulking gun. Needless to say the rest of the process was a mess. I ended up using a kind of spackle method with a paint stick and the remnants of the 5200 that were splattered in the barrell of the caulk gun. Since it was a lost cause at the end, I'm glad I bought the $4 version. I wish I could say the same about my flip flops :(

I also ended up splitting the top planks as I began to clamp them down. I think I probably split the top planks a little using the jigsaw to trim the planks and torturing them into place just made it much worse. After several minutes of major panic, I got everything down, was able to put a bar clamp on, fill the split with glue and pull it back together.

I also had difficulty with my tie-down clamp system I devised for the bottom planks. The straps pulled down on the edges, eliminating the need to use extra clamps and shims but it also pulled the edges together making the center want to bow upwards away from the frame. This system also probably contributed to the splitting problem. If I had to go back and do it again, I think I would probably do it a little differently. I might still use the straps, but I would run strapping across the top like I did earlier gluing the frame to the bottom planks. Everything glued solid, though it feels like there is one spot towards the front that is a little soft. Since I won't really be standing there it shouldn't be a big deal, fingers crossed.

No comments: