Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Welcome to my new readers...





For all the readers who have made it here from the Grain website, thanks for stopping by. Hopefully you won't feel daunted by my mistakes. I would like to point out I had very little wood working experience before this. This project was as much about the learning experience as it was about the finished product. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for all the positive comments. Thanks again to the guys at Grain for linking to my blog. It's nice to become part of the Grain community. Feel free to post any questions you might have about my experience and I'll answer them in my posts.

It's been a couple days since the last post. Not working for a few months while the wife is busting her butt everyday means that the list of Honey-Do projects on my schedule is quite hefty. I've spent the past couple days landscaping our front walkway and installing a water fountain. I'll throw some pictures up to show the finished product.

In the meantime, I've been gluing up a bead and cove strip here and there during that time. No pictures since it would just be more pictures of the board with a bunch of clamps on it. I think everyone has seen that by now. I'm close to finishing the rails to the point where I need to begin doing some research. I'm fortunate enough to live in one of the bigger surf towns in the U.S., and thus I"m going to wander around and look at other fish shapes to get a feel for rail shapes, fin placement, and overall finishing of the board. The next step in the actual process is to glue in all the backing blocks for the fins and leash plugs.

I'll get the pictures and stuff up tonight. As a side note, I was worried about the strength of the board in places, but now that I am close to finishing the side rails the board feels bomb proof. This thing should be way more durable than any foam-core board. I don't know why I was worried. Call it beginner's naivety.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I approve of the landscaping project. Very nice. MF Idaho