Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Build Day 6




Today I glued the frame to the bottom planks. I talked earlier about buying the right tool, I'm taking that back. I was short a lot of clamps to glue the frame to the bottom planks. So I improvised and it worked great. When I was at Lowe's looking for the jigsaw attachment from earlier, I saw a picture frame clamp. Essentially it was a strap connected to a tighener. I got an idea from this. When I got home, I pulled out some nylon tie-downs I keep in my truck for hauling stuff. I used those just like the picture frame clamp. They worked great. Only problem I had was as you cinched them down they tried to shift the position of the frame. I had outlined the frame on the planks to make sure I glued them on straight and this helped me reposition everything to ensure it was straight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! I am really stoked on the progress with your fish.
I am living in Japan and have started to build my first wooden surfboard.

I have a bit of a carpentry background, however this is still quite a learning process for me.

Q.
I was wondering.. What type of glue/adhesive did you use to glue the(stringers)frame to the bottom?

Looking forward to seeing it progress further... keep it up!

Blair McInnis,
bmc@japan.com